Church of San Hermenegildo

Igl.San-Hermenegildo

(Calle Alcalá, 43)

show map-01

Today this is the Church of San José.

This is the church of the old San Hermenegildo convent, belonging to the order of the Carmelites. It was built in 1586 over the site that had previously been occupied by a brothel. It was later demolished in order to build the current Church of San José.

It was there, on May 29, 1614, that Lope de Vega officiated his first mass as a priest. Months later, on October 16, a literary tournament was held –which was attended by Cervantes and Espinel, among others— to celebrate the beatification of Santa Teresa de Jesús.

Back to Madrid of Lope